Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Effective March 16, all libraries are CLOSED. Please visit our Library Closure Information Guide for details.

Winnipeg Public Library

Volunteer Opportunities

Winnipeg Public Library has several opportunities available to volunteer for adults. Volunteer needs fluctuate and placements may not be immediately available. For more information on each role and openings, please contact us as below.

  • Home Service: As part of our Home Service, volunteers deliver library material to individuals unable to visit a Winnipeg Public Library branch due to illness or disability and who lack other supports. View the Home Service Volunteer position description for details. For further questions contact the Home Service coordinator at 204-986-6489. Note: We do not need volunteers at this time.
  • West End Library (WELL) program: Volunteer tutors aged 18+ assist the instructor in our Adult Literacy Program — a program for learners to improve their basic reading, writing, speaking, and math skills. For information on volunteering as a tutor call Chris at 204-391-2703 or email WELL Volunteer Position Description. Note: We do not need volunteers at this time.
  • English Conversation Groups: Volunteers lead weekly groups in basic English conversation. Orientations and training provided. Please call Chris at 204-391-2703 to find out more. EAL Volunteer Position Description. Note: We do not need volunteers at this time. You are welcome to contact us to be considered for future placements.
  • Please see the Library's teen website Booked for possible volunteer opportunities.

To apply to volunteer for the Library opportunities listed above, please complete the volunteer application form at the City of Winnipeg's Community Services.


  • Homework Club: Volunteer with Frontier College's Library partnered program. For more information, call Frontier College at 204-253-7993.
  • Winnipeg Public Library Board and Library Advisory Committees: Serve on one of the Library's citizen advisory boards. Appointments to the Library Board and Library Advisory Committees are made for two-year terms, to a maximum of six years. For more information, see the Library Board page or contact 311.
  • Friends of the Winnipeg Public Library: An organization for people committed to assisting the Library in providing the best possible library system through fundraising and other support. For more information, see the Friends’ volunteer page or leave a message at 204-488-3217.
  • Manitoba Library Association, Prison Libraries Committee (MLA-PLC)
    Winnipeg Public Library supports the MLA-PLC with space to operate their activities and partnered programs. Volunteers of the MLA-PLC gather suitable books and deliver them to various correctional centres in Winnipeg, Headingly and The Pas. Volunteers also run programs in the correctional centres including book exchanges, a book club and writing workshops. For more information on how to donate, support, or volunteer, visit

Last update: July 31, 2019